**NEW DESIGN AS OF March 1st 2018, scroll all the way down to see revisions**
The all new redesigned Chase Bays Power Steering Kit for Nissan 240sx / Silvia S13, S14, or S15 is designed to eliminate the common factory power steering leaks, fluid spillover, and overheating issues with improved aesthetics, durability, and stealthy design. It is a full 100% upgraded A.N. fitting replacement of the stock reservoir and hoses. From the reservoir to pump to rack.
Our over-engineered Dual-Baffled Power Steering Reservoir (aeration and spillover proof) is at the core of this kit. It optionally comes with an upgraded Setrab Oil Cooler that can mount under the driver side headlight (or in the center) for additional airflow. Chase Bays only uses the highest quality components available. Our reservoir is constructed of 6061 aluminum and is anodized black with a laser etched cap. The reservoir itself uses our own aluminum bracket and can be mounted in the stock location.
Dual Baffled Power Steering Reservoir
Countless hours of research and development were put into our newest Power Steering Reservoir. This isn’t as simple as putting 2 fittings on a fluid container and calling it a day. It is far more complex. The smaller fitting on the Reservoir is the fluid return from the rack. It can be sent back at pressures exceeding 100psi. When that hits the fluid in the reservoir it can cause extreme foaming aeration if not properly slowed down and directed. Think about pouring beer into a mug, same idea. We have put some serious engineering time to the internal design to negate this entirely. We can’t give away all of our secrets, but just know you won’t have any aeration issues.
Go to any road race or drift event and look at all the factory (and most aftermarket) power steering reservoir. By the end of the day there is spillover all around the reservoir. It was our goal to be the 1 in 100 reservoirs to have no spillover from turbulence or overheating. The cap and cap housing in the reservoir itself are baffled together in such a way to completely block fluid while still providing passage for an air vent Power Steering Reservoirs need.
COLD FILL POINT: Halfway filled up on the reservoir.
Our clever reservoir mounting brackets makes a few adjustments from the stock one. The bracket itself works for S13, S14, and S15 chassis unlike the stock piece. On S13 the bolt holes used are slightly further back on the shock tower (like S14 and S15) but the positioning is nearly the same. We did push the reservoir toward the engine an inch to allow room for wheel tubs.
If you have a top mount setup then it may collide with the reservoir. On our mockup chassis we have a top mount GT2871R and it still clears. Use our installed photos as reference. If you need more clearance in that area then we make a kit that mounts the reservoir on the core support, click here to purchase. https://www.iraceautosports.com/product/chase-bays-power-steering-kit-nissan-240sx-s13-s14-s15-with-sr20det-or-ka24de-core-support-mounting/
Hoses and Adapters
The high-pressure rack to pump hose is -6AN stainless steel, Teflon PTFE lined, and black PVC coated. This coating is crucial, it makes the hose resistant to chaffing if it routes against metal or a fellow hose. The -6AN rack to reservoir and -10AN reservoir to pump hoses are abrasion resistant, black nylon sheathed, and stainless steel reinforced. They are all completed with high end black aluminum AN fittings and Metric to AN adapters for the rack and pump conversion to AN.
We do replicate / upgrade the factory rack connections. They use an inner o-ring seal instead of a sealing washer or flare seal, so the hex will not visibly seat all the way. This is okay as the seal happens on the bottom of the fitting. S chassis racks have deep threads so we make our own custom length adapters and we use an o-ring twice the thickness from the stock one. Rest easy as you’ll get to enjoy a leak free power steering setup for years to come.
Setrab Fluid Cooler
Our optional cooler add-on features a black Setrab 10 Row Oil Cooler (11.25in x 3in x 2in) that is all aluminum in construction. It is black coated for a durable and stealthy finish. Very compact but very effective. We’ve seen 20º degree F drops in temperature from this cooler.
• 89-94 S13 Nissan 240sx with SR20DET or KA24DE
• 95-98 S14 Nissan 240sx with SR20DET or KA24DE
• 89-02 S13, S14, or S15 RHD Silvia or 180sx with SR20DET
March 2018 Revisions:
• We’ve developed a bracket that works for both S13 and S14/S15 chassis to mount the reservoir in the stock location. See Reservoir Mounting above for more info
• We now provide the proper inner o-ring seal rack fittings. We had to manufacture these as no one provides an off the shelf piece with long enough metric side threads to create a seal. We also doubled the size on the o-ring for a more reliable seal. Take note that the hex will NOT bottom out when you install. The seal happens on the bottom of the fitting. Do not over-tighten this fitting! Better to under-tighten and have a small leak to fix instead of a cracked rack. Adding a 1/4 turn to a fitting is easier than replacing a rack.
• The stock banjo fitting on the pump is completely replaced with our own 18mm Banjo to -6AN adapter. It does reuse the factory banjo bolt since it is properly spring loaded and restricted. This opens up a ton of valuable room for turbo piping. These engines are pretty old now and we continued to have customers ask how to install it when their pump was missing this fitting. Not to mention Nissan no longer sells that banjo fitting.